Sunday, November 27, 2011

T.I.'s Making Me Want to Take Back Smooches...


A Quote from T.I. on the issues of Gay Rights to Vibe Magazine:

T.I. on all Americans having equal rights
"Man, I will say this, the funniest joke I ever heard Tracy say during a stand-up was, ‘C’mon man, I think gay people are too sensitive. If you can take a dick, you can take a joke.’ [Cracks up laughing.] That shit was funny to me. And it’s kind of true.’ While T.I. makes clear that he supports anyone’s sexual preference, he then connects, in his opinion, a current oversensitivity among gay people with a consequential and ironic offense of the First Amendment. “They’re like,‘If you have an opinion against us, we’re gonna shut you down.’ ... That’s not American. If you’re gay you should have the right to be gay in peace, and if you’re against it you should have the right to be against it in peace.’"


Now I'm not jumping on the hate train with T.I. or anything on this one, but I must say that this quote rubbed me the wrong way a bit. Mostly because homophobia in Hip-Hop has always been a very big problem, and it still would be almost impossible for an openly gay rapper to gain any cred in the industry. I could maybe feel him a bit on the issue of the gay community being overly sensitive at times, but I also don't know if he realizes how difficult it is, especially for gay people of color in the hip-hop industry, to get any respect or recognition at all. But maybe he's speaking on the mainstream gay movement more here? Who really knows. Apparently T.I. is also skeptical about the Bin Laden's death as well...... hmm... But I just thought this was interesting. Smooches anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment